17 April 2008

Today's amusement

So, like many technical people, I like playing with the latest and greatest.

I installed Visual Studio 2008 on my crappy HP notebook (dimmest screen ever) and built some of the Employer's code, 140 KLOC of lovely C and not-so-lovely C++.

One thing I've managed to do with this stuff is get it all building at warning level 4; still a few warnings, but there are limits to what I can do to compensate for the failings of others...

Anyway, one of the C/C++ warnings which has been strongly encouraged by Microsoft in Visual Studio 2005 - to the point of it being on by default when you create a new project - is the portability warning about code which may not make the transition to 64 bits so cleanly.

This makes sense, since 64-bit OSes are no longer red-headed stepchildren and are quickly becoming mainstream. Also, most desktop and server CPUs are now 64-bit, and there will probably come a day soon when all consumer CPUs will be 64-bit.

So imagine my surprise when I see this:

VS 2008 build results

Yep, that's right: something Microsoft went to great pains to get people to adopt is now deprecated.

Frigtards, as FSJ would say.


UPDATE: despite MSDN being utterly useless to explain this, a Microsoft blog post comment (not the post, but a comment on the post) explains the deprecation in sufficient detail.

No comments: