20 March 2008

User-Mode Crash Dumps in Vista

One of the good things coming in Vista SP1:

Collecting User-Mode Crash Dumps

Yeah, I thought it was, um, interesting how you couldn't do that before.

I came across this via the very interesting Crash Dump Analysis blog.

Since my days (and nights (and weekends)) are spent trying to get some measure of stability in heavily multithreaded Windows service written in C++ by people who really weren't as good at C++ as they thought they were, I spend waaaaay more time than I should looking at trace logs and sitting in WinDbg trying to get a machine to fail so I can figure out which of the 9 billion threads it crashed in. That's assuming I don't have deadlocks, or even worse, livelocks.

But I digress... Dmitry Vostokov's blog is interesting, and I'll have to check out his books.

No comments: