20 April 2007

Marketing gone awry


This is amusing, but I also get a kick out of a couple of the comments:

This is London. Not Boston. I have never met people more grounded in reality and less likely to panic for no reason. You know what most people did during the 7/7 bombings? They went to the pub because they couldn't get to work. The only people that are going to panic about some willy nilly biohazard signs are tourists.

Which is a big part of the reason I love this town.
and

I lived in London during the IRA bombing campaigns. I expected to be locked out of an underground station at least once every few days because of a bomb scare, and about once every couple of weeks there would be roadblocks stopping me from getting back to my house (I lived in the very center of town). Once , there were two car bombs within a half mile of my house in a period of a few weeks.

Most people were just irritated at the inconvenience of it all, quite sensibly realising that their chances of being run over by a car were enormously much higher than their chances of being bombed.

I don't think you'll see Boston style hysteria about this.

At LIPSinc, we went to a SIGGRAPH in New Orleans and one of our marketing critters got the bright idea to put stickers with our URL everywhere.

This same individual got the bright idea to write our URL on a bathroom mirror in lipstick at a Durham Bulls game and - IIRC - was ejected from the stadium.

Needless to say, I don't miss those days.

No comments: